A new research designed by the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) was published these days and the results are quite alarming.
For its analysis, the study focused on 10 industries and you can see below some of the most important findings:
- Around three quarters of counterfeit products are transported by sea;
- In 9 of the 10 sectors analysed, most counterfeit goods were produced in China;
- Albania, Egypt, Morocco and Ukraine are the key transit points used for introducing fakes into the European Union
- Panama remains an important transit point for counterfeit goods en route to the United States.
The key trends of trade in fake goods, by sector, is presented below:
Clothing and fabrics
- China is the main producer of counterfeit clothes and textile fabrics. Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia also appear to be important producers, exporting them across the globe, either directly, or via Hong Kong and Singapore.
- India, Pakistan and Bangladesh are important producers of counterfeit textile articles, which they ship to the EU, the US, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
- Fake clothes and fabrics enter the EU and the US from producing economies and transit hubs mostly in the post (with air and sea transport used for exporting fake clothes and fabrics from producing economies to these transit points).
Electronics and electrical equipment
- China is the main producer, with Thailand, Korea, India and Singapore identified as minor producers (Mexico is a regional producer targeting the US market).
- Hong Kong is the largest transit point for counterfeit electronics and electrical equipment produced in China and Thailand and re-exported throughout the globe.
- The United Arab Emirates is also a central transit point for re-exports to Africa through large containers by sea, but also by road to other Middle East economies and by mail and air to the EU.
- Belize, Guatemala and Panama are key transit points for counterfeit electronic and electrical goods targeting the US.
- Globally, China, India and several other smaller Asian economies are the main producers of counterfeit foodstuff. They export directly to the US, the EU, Japan, Western and Northern Africa; or indirectly, through Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Yemen, to other Gulf region economies.
- Turkey is a relatively significant producer of counterfeit food products, and exports them to the EU countries and to Serbia, Yemen, or (indirectly) to Saudi Arabia.
- China is the main producer of counterfeit footwear, followed by the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia. Goods from these economies is shipped directly to the EU, the US, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Australia, Japan, Korea and numerous economies located throughout the African and the South American continents.
- India and Pakistan also appear to be important producers of counterfeit footwear, which is shipped directly to the EU, the US, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
- Hong Kong, Singapore and the United Arab Emirates are the main global transit points. Regionally, Panama is an important transit point for fake footwear en route to the US.
- The destination economies for fake jewellery exported from China include Australia, Japan, Korea and numerous economies located throughout the African and the South American continents.
- The main transit points for trade in counterfeit jewellery are Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore.
- Morocco is an important transit point for fake jewellery transported to the EU.
Leather articles and handbags
- China is the main producer, with fakes exported across the globe either directly, or using several large trade hubs, such as Hong Kong, Macau and Kuwait.
- Turkey and Tunisia are viewed as important producers that particularly target the EU.
- Postal parcels were the main conveyance method for fake leather goods used by counterfeiters in producing economies and transit points to ship goods to the US and the EU.
Perfumery and cosmetics
- China is the key producer of counterfeit perfumes and cosmetics preparations that are shipped throughout the globe.
- Counterfeit perfumes and cosmetics produced in Malaysia, Thailand, India and Singapore are generally exported to the EU, the US, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
- Turkey is a regional producer exporting counterfeit perfumery and cosmetics almost exclusively to the EU, with goods transported by road.
- India and China are the largest identified producers of counterfeit pharmaceuticals, shipping across the globe, with a special focus on African economies, Europe and the US.
- Hong Kong is one of the most important transit points for counterfeit pharmaceuticals, mainly exporting them by post to the US, Europe, Japan and some South American economies in small parcels.
Toys, games and sports equipment
- China is the main producing economy, exporting globally via a significant number of transit points, such as Hong Kong, Singapore and Macau.
- Other producing economies include India and Pakistan. Regionally, Turkey and Morocco are producers shipping to the EU.
- Uruguay and Paraguay are transit points for products made in China and Hong Kong targeted to the US market.